This study explores the relation between yoga and prosocial behavior (PSB) of business students and evaluates the impact of yoga on their academic performance in an MBA program. The mediating role of mindfulness is also examined. The study covers a cohort of 255 MBA students. Individual MBA student’s yoga practice, mindfulness, PSB, and performance in management case studies was measured before and after a 20-week yoga programme. The study found that yogic practices significantly increase PSB and academic performance. To assess the mediating role of mindfulness, PROCESS macro was used for regression analysis. It was found that mindfulness acts as a mediator between yoga and PSB. As a result of partial mediation, half the effect on PSB comes from higher mindfulness while the remaining half comes directly from the practice of yoga. Mindfulness also acts as a mediator between yoga and academic performance. In case of the grades obtained by the MBA students, 58% of increase comes through mindfulness whereas the remaining 42% comes from yogic practices directly. Increasing PSB among business school students would be a logical step toward promoting future management practices that are more comprehensive, socially responsible, value-based, and ethically-oriented. This study demonstrates how yoga can benefit MBA students who practise it as well as meet social demands.
Anand N. Asthana (2023): Prosocial behavior of MBA students: The role of yoga and mindfulness, Journal of Education for Business, DOI: 10.1080/08832323.2023.2208811